Monday, June 25

The Roof

It is finally all said and done.

We had some major drama with the roofing company last week.

They came out to the house on Monday and spent 13 hours there. When they left they had only put the roof on our house. They still had to put up the gutters and put the shingles on our garage. Keep in mind my house is not very big. There was a lot of standing around. But whatever, I wasn't paying them by the hour.

Monday evening before they left one of the guys talked to us and said how they would be back in the morning to finish up. We pointed out some wires that were pulled from the house and the clip used to hold them to the house was broken. He said he would fix the wires after they put up the gutters. OK.

We go to work as usual on Tuesday. I started to get really worried because we were expecting some heavy thunderstorms Tuesday afternoon and evening and if our gutters were not put on then we would be facing some issues with water in our basement. We had also told this to the guy Monday night that we really needed those gutters up before it rained. We didn't hear anything from them during the day on Tuesday at all. My mother in law drove past around 2pm and said that there was nobody there and it looked like our gutters were up in the front but she didn't see the back or the garage.

Next thing I know we get a phone call message around 4:30 Tuesday evening from the roofing company saying that it should all be done and if we could call the office to set up for final payment. Their office is only open until 5pm and I didn't get to call them back before then. They proceeded to call my cell phone a total 10 times (only the first call left a message) and once on my home phone up until 8pm. They also came to our house to collect.

Wednesday morning I called their office and of course got their voice mail and left a somewhat nasty message stating that I did not appreciate them harassing me and they are not to keep calling my phone. The wire isn't even fixed. Plus I will be mailing the payment to them. That I do not want them coming to my house. In the mean time I thought about the inspector from our city. So I call the city and they say they haven't even been called by the roofing company to come and inspect the final work. They can't take it from me-that the call has to come from the company. Now I get a mean voice message from the roofers and they sound pissed at me and just tell me to call them back.

Keep in mind that I take phone calls at work and can't always answer an incoming phone call. I end up getting another message from the roofers stating that the contract states final payment due day of completion and they talked to their attorney and if we do not pay them that night I can expect a call from their attorney the next day.

Now I am so pissed my whole face is red. I go home at lunch and get the contract in front of me so that I can see the actual language. I finally get a chance at work to call them back around 3:30pm and I end up in a shouting match with the owner who happens to be the same guy who talked to us at the house on Monday night. What the hell. He basically just keeps telling me that he wants his money and he doesn't work like this and we didn't deserve to have him as our roofer, etc. I try to point out that all we asked for was to be able to make sure all of the work was done as it was supposed to be done because we don't have a high level of confidence in them due to the issues just trying to get them out to do the work. I told him it was against a federal law to call someone like they were doing and to make false accusations and threats. He didn't want to believe me. He ended up hanging up on me but not before he threatened to come to our house to collect his money with the sheriff.

I called the city back again after about 20 minutes since he claimed he could call right away and get the inspector there that same day. The lady in our city building office was so nice and said that they still hadn't called it in and it doesn't work that way. There was no way the inspector would be able to get to our house that evening.

I go home fully expecting him to show up at our house or do something. He was acting a bit scary.

Nothing happened that night at all.

I had decided the ball was in their court and I wasn't going to call them. But my husband wanted me to big the better person. Whatever. But I did call around 11:30am on Thursday. The lady that was arguing with me and calling me had a different sound to her voice. She still didn't believe their guys broke the wire clip but said if they get the inspector their and all is signed off on and they fix the clip by the next day (Friday) could they pick up their check Friday evening. I told her I actually have a picture of the house before the work and can prove the clip was broken if she needs it but she ignored that fact. I also told her that if they get it signed off on by the city inspector and fix the wire that yes we could make arrangements.

The inspector came Thursday evening while we were at Belle's swimming lessons. My husband said he was told they did a good job. So Friday morning came around and around noon I received a phone message stating the wire was fixed. I had to leave early that day so when I got home we looked it over and it looks fine.

I called and left a message stating we would not be home and the check would be on our back door if they wanted to pick it up but that I wanted something stating they received it and that it was paid in full. They left us another message stating that they will copy the contract and mark the info on their and thank you.

Wow a thank you at the end of it all. All we wanted was to make sure it was all completed as it should have been. Once we got that we paid the balance. I hope we don't have any issues that we need to call them out for in the future under the warranty.

But the roof is done. Thank goodness....

before (note the wires)
after (again note wire lines)

now everyone can sigh thanking the powers that be that you don't have to hear about it anymore.

1 comment:

Chelsea said...

I would call the BBB and tell them of their "not so nice" tactics.